Monday, May 27, 2013

Understanding My Car Insurance Policy


Since I am having my car I know few things about car insurance and am also familiar with words such as deductibles and premium. But in order to know what kind of coverage my car needs and what are the different parts of an auto insurance policy. In America 45 states require that one must have some kind of insurance coverage. So I need at least some kind of auto insurance policy for my car. The main purpose of auto insurance is to replace my car or some parts in case of an accident. So it is also important to have knowledge of the laws and see what kind of insurance coverage and any additional protection is required for my car.
Before buying an insurance policy for my car I need to consider few things such as what is the kind of my car, what is my driving record and what is the amount of money I am going to invest in buying a policy for my car. Finding a good insurance policy is a very difficult affair for me like it is for anybody else. For this purpose I had to search for a trust-able broker or an agent who could help me with task of finding a good insurance plan for my car which is both economical and suitable for my needs. They can help me understand simple basics of auto insurance as it will make me confident that the auto insurance policy I am choosing for my car will take care of my needs in case of an accident. 
I also need my agent to explain to me all the details of my car insurance policy as I cannot read it thoroughly and miss few important questions which one must need to ask the agent. These questions may be such that is I getting all the discounts my auto insurer offer. There are some discounts offered by the insurer like credits if I am having safety features such as airbags, alarms and anti-theft or electronic vehicle. There are other things such as if I am a member of a professional bar association or medical board or I am driving a car which is environmentally friendly. 
Similarly if I am having a comprehensive and complete coverage in case of my car needs are pair after damage or if my car is destroyed due to flood, tree damage or theft. There are other issues as in the present times due to continual slow economic growth after the 2008 financial crisis I may not be able to buy a full insurance coverage as there are so many austerity measures taken by the government and therefore I might settle for uninsured motorized property damage for this purpose I will have to look at the minimum levels required for auto insurance.
It is also important to note that whether my insurance company is providing me actual cash value or agreed upon cash value as in case of totaled loss, some companies pay actual cash value which is the depreciated cash value. Which is not good so always go for a company that provides you with agreed upon cash value. This will be the proper coverage.

No comments:

Post a Comment